|★阿修羅♪ > ホロコースト5 > 104.html ★阿修羅♪|
Union accused of reviving academic boycott of Israel ( Guardian)
By Polly Curtis, Thursday May 8, 2008
Academics are today accused of attempting to revive the intensely controversial academic boycott of Israel by calling for lecturers to consider their links with Israeli institutions and lobby contacts over the Israeli occupation.
The Universities and College Union (UCU) annual conference will debate a motion that falls short of a full-blown boycott, but asks members to "consider the moral and political implications of educational links with Israeli institutions".
Anti-boycott groups claim the motion is an attempt to revive the issue after legal advice last year suggested a boycott would be discriminatory and illegal. The issue has dominated the union's annual conferences since 2002, but its leadership had hoped that legal advice had laid it to rest.
Previous attempts at a boycott have caused international outcry, especially in Israel and the US. When the Association of University Teachers backed a boycott in February 2005, the story hit the front pages in Europe, North America and Asia. The debate raged for several weeks with a delegation of Israeli academics putting pressure on the union by touring UK campuses.
The University and College Union (UCU) represents more than 120,000 academics, lecturers, trainers, instructors, researchers, managers, administrators, computer staff, librarians and postgraduates in universities, colleges, prisons, adult education and training organisations across the UK.UCU is the largest post-school union in the world: a force working for educators and education that employers and the government cannot ignore.
It was formed on 1 June 2006 by the amalgamation of two strong partners - the Association of University Teachers (AUT) and NATFHE-the University & College Lecturers' Union - who shared a long history of defending and advancing educators' employment and professional interests.
Congress business section 5: International and European work
30 - Composite: Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions (University of Brighton, Grand Parade; University of East London, Docklands)
Congress notes that Israel's 40-year occupation has seriously damaged the fabric of Palestinian society through annexation, illegal settlement, collective punishment and restriction of movement.
Congress deplores the denial of educational rights for Palestinians by invasions, closures, checkpoints, curfews, and shootings and arrests of teachers, lecturers and students.
Congress condemns the complicity of Israeli academia in the occupation, which has provoked a call from Palestinian trade unions for a comprehensive and consistent international boycott of all Israeli academic institutions.
Congress believes that in these circumstances passivity or neutrality is unacceptable and criticism of Israel cannot be construed as anti-semitic.
Congress instructs the NEC to
· circulate the full text of the Palestinian boycott call to all branches/LAs for information and discussion;
· encourage members to consider the moral implications of existing and proposed links with Israeli academic institutions;
· organise a UK-wide campus tour for Palestinian academic/educational trade unionists;
· issue guidance to members on appropriate forms of action.
CARRIED AS AMENDED
30A.1 - Community Education Lewisham
Delete third paragraph.
Fourth paragraph, after 'Congress believes that', insert 'while much criticism of Israel is anti-semitic'; after 'criticism of', replace 'Israel' with 'Israeli state policy', and after 'cannot', insert 'necessarily'.
Final paragraph, after 'Congress instructs the NEC to', delete first two bullet points
In third bullet point, after 'Palestinian', add 'and Israeli'
At end of fourth bullet point, add 'in line with Policy on International Greylisting and Boycotts, and EI policy'
Add new bullet point: 'Support direct links between education workers and UCU bodies in the UK, and Israeli and Palestinian trade union organisations.'
30A.2 - De Montfort University
In 3rd para between 'of' and 'Israeli', insert 'some elements of'.
In 3rd para between 'from' and 'Palestinian', insert 'some'.
In 3rd para delete the word 'all'.
30A.3 - College of North East London
At the end, add the following last bullet point, 'actively encourage and support branches to create direct links with Palestinian educational institutions and to help set up nationally sponsored programmes for teacher exchanges, sabbatical placements, and research'
31 - European Union and Israel (University of Birmingham)
1. That since the Palestinian elections in January 2006 the Israeli government has suspended revenue payments to the Palestinian Authority (PA), and the EU and US have suspended aid, leaving public-sector salaries unpaid and earning the condemnation of the Palestinian General Federation of Trade Unions;
2. That Israel is seeking to upgrade its relations with the EU to the same level as Norway and Switzerland, permitting free passage of goods, people and capital, while denying these freedoms to Palestinians.
Congress resolves to campaign for:
1. The restoration of all international aid to the PA and all revenues rightfully belonging to it;
2. No upgrade of Israel's EU status until it ends the occupation of Palestinian land and fully complies with EU Human Rights law.
CARRIED AS AMENDED
31A.1 - University of Birmingham
Under 'Congress resolves to campaign for:', add new clause 3 at end:
'3. A moratorium on research and cultural collaborations with Israel via EU and European Science Foundation funding until Israel abides by UN resolutions.'
31A.2 - University of Brighton Eastbourne
Add new clause at end:
'Congress instructs the NEC to encourage Branches/ associations to
1. raise these campaigns in their Institutions and
2. investigate the possibilities of twinning their Institution with a Palestinian University or College.'
投稿者 はてな？ 日時 2005 年 5 月 17 日 20:52:03: Cgi16yXgIem4U
投稿者 木村愛二 日時 2006 年 6 月 02 日 20:05:18: CjMHiEP28ibKM
投稿者 凡人 日時 2007 年 6 月 04 日 17:04:18: pV3QNylzAqCv6
(回答先: 英国研究者グループがイスラエル人研究者のボイコットを呼びかける（Science） 投稿者 凡人 日時 2007 年 6 月 04
▲このページのＴＯＰへ HOME > ホロコースト5掲示板フォローアップ: